SRP Offers Holiday Lighting Safety Tips
Stay safe while enjoying the holiday season with the following lighting safety tips:
- Use LED holiday lights. They are energy efficient and stay cool to the touch.
- Use a timer to turn off holiday lights during daylight hours and other specified times. Ensure they are off before leaving home or going to bed.
- Use only lights that have been tested for safety. The lights should have the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) label.
- Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, loose connections or frayed or bare wires. Discard all damaged cords.
- Don’t overload outlets or extension cords.
- Plug all outdoor holiday lights and electrical decorations into outlets with ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) to reduce the likelihood of electric shock.
- Uncoil extension cords completely before using and be sure to place them away from heat sources and bulbs. Make sure extension cords are used appropriately as marked – either for indoor or outdoor use.
- Keep extension cords out of water, away from metal objects and tucked away or taped down to eliminate tripping hazards.
- Use caution when decorating near power lines. Stay at least 10 feet away at all times.
SRP is a community-based, not-for-profit public power utility and the largest electricity provider in the greater Phoenix metropolitan area, serving approximately 1.1 million customers. SRP provides water to about half of the Valley’s residents, delivering more than 244 billion gallons of water (750,000 acre-feet) each year, and manages a 13,000-square-mile watershed that includes an extensive system of reservoirs, wells, canals and irrigation laterals.